An air raid by Afghan forces in the country’s southwestern Nimroz province killed several civilians, according to local officials and witnesses.
The exact number of casualties in the incident late on Saturday was not immediately clear.
Provincial councillor Baz Mohammad Nasir told the dpa news agency on Sunday the air raid in Khashrud district had left at least 14 dead, including women and children.
Another local councillor, Bibi Khair-un Nisa Ghumai, put the civilian death toll at eight, while Nimroz Deputy Governor Abdul Nabi Burahawi said it was unclear how many civilians had been hurt.
Burahawi said a commission had already left the provincial capital of Zaranj and was heading to the district to establish how many people had been wounded or killed.
Relatives of the victims and witnesses put the death count at 18, all members of the same family in Munazari village.
“Eighteen members of my family were martyred. They were found in pieces,” Afghan news outlet TOLOnews website quoted Saleh Mohammad, a relative of the victims, as saying.
Ahmad, a resident of Khashrod who was wounded in the air raid, also said he has lost “18 members of his family in the incident”.
“We were 15 members in our family. I was sleeping and did not notice that our house was attacked. When I woke up, I saw that the wall of our house was damaged and there were bullets around me,” Ahmad told TOLOnews.