Dubai’s Global Village suspends shows, fireworks

Move a precautionary measure against the spread of Covid-19

Dubai’s Global Village has announced the suspension of shows and street entertainment effective February 3 “until further notice”. Fireworks are also cancelled for the next two weekends.

The suspensions are in line with the Dubai Government’s recent safety precautions against the spread of coronavirus.

“The Mission Speed stunt show will continue to operate with socially-distanced seating. The rest of the park is still operating with world-class safety measures in place. We invite you to enjoy our open air shopping, dining, rides and attractions from 4pm daily,” the Global Village tweeted. The entertainment destination returned for its silver jubilee season in October last year.

Earlier this week, Dubai announced that pubs and bars will remain closed from February 2 untill the end of the month, and cinemas and indoor entertainment venues, including sports facilities, will operate at 50 per cent capacity.

The Dubai Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management said the measures were aimed at safeguarding the community from coronavirus.

Restaurants and cafes are required to close at 1am. Hotels must operate at 70 per cent capacity and new bookings should comply with the capacity limit, the authorities said on Monday. The same applies to swimming pools as well as private beaches in hotels.

Malls will also operate at 70 per cent capacity.

The authorities said tougher penalties will be slapped on those deliberately disregarding the preventive measures.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.