Dubai: The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) has strongly condemned threats and provocative remarks made by Turkish officials against the UAE.
Naif Mubarak Al Hajraf, Secretary-General of the GCC, rejected the recent threats made by some top Turkish officials against the UAE during a meeting with Erdogan Kok, Turkish ambassador to Saudi Arabia, the council said in a statement on Tuesday.
Al Hajraf underlined that the security of GCC countries is inseparable, based on the principle of joint defence within the framework of the council. He reiterated the GCC’s keenness to maintain the region’s security and stability and develop relations with neighbouring countries in a manner that serves common interests based on respect for the sovereignty of states and non-interference in their internal affairs, as well as its commitment to the principles of international laws and the United Nations Charter.
Al Hajraf further reaffirmed the GCC’s commitment to maintaining security in Arab countries and its rejection of interference in their internal affairs.
Last week, the UAE warned Turkey against interfering in Arab countries’ domestic affairs. In a statement, Dr Anwar Gargash, UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, urged Turkey to stop interfering in Arab affairs, referring to the Ottoman Empire that collapsed a century ago. The backlash came after Turkey spoke of so-called “malicious” actions by the UAE in Libya, where the two countries support opposing sides in its grinding conflict.
“Turkey can no longer behave like “the Sublime Porte and use the language of colonialism”, Gargash said, citing the Ottoman empire which ruled the Arab world for five centuries.
SOURCE: GULF NEWS